Monday, October 27, 2008

I need a nap now

The move was a success. Despite the absolutely torrential downpour and the vicious wind - my household has been transported to Parkview. I'm quite excited.

The whole experience was full of adventures, let me tell ya. Azi and I spent all of Friday night, and the whole day Saturday packing and bringing copious amounts of laundry over to the new apartment. Faith was scheduled to fly into Bangor around 9:15 on Saturday night - what excitement - she hasn't been home since last Thanksgiving, and we've been on the phone every day talking about her visit. Well, at about 6:00 on Saturday night, I get a call from Faith - she just arrived in NYC (the JFK airport) after the most horrible flight from Seattle (she ended up with some stranger's crying baby in her arms for half an hour during awful turbulence), and had discovered that Delta had canceled the flight to Bangor. After about 2 hours she finally got to the counter to speak to someone who told her the next flight she could get to Bangor would be on Monday, or she could fly to Portland the next afternoon. Either way, she would not be comped a room or any perks, as it was weather related and not their responsibility. She signed up for the flight to Portland, and prepared to hunker down in the airport for the night.

A little while later, she called me and said she was at the JetBlue counter, and they could fly her into Portland that night, getting in around 11:45 - I checked to see if Dad could go pick her up (my car was doing some wonky overheating stuff earlier in the day, so was not up for a quick jaunt to Portland - I'd been concerned about making it to the Bangor airport) - I called him, he could - I called her back to let her know, she said she had to check and see if she could get her luggage switched over to them. Delta said no, they couldn't do that, it was already being routed to Portland.

Let's move to Sunday afternoon, when Conni gets down to Portland to pick her up. Everything is fine, other than Faith being (understandably) over Delta. After a considerable amount of time waiting for her luggage to show up, they went and asked why it hadn't. According to the counter agents, her luggage should be in Bangor. It turns out there actually was a flight available all the way to Bangor on Sunday, they had just neglected to let her know when she was in NYC. A little more pissed off at this point - thinking about all her clothes and stuff for two weeks as well as the frozen Halibut and Reindeer Sausage that were probably no longer frozen or delicious in her luggage, she and Conni headed up north to Bangor.

Fastforward to about three hours later, when they get to the Bangor airport. The Delta agents there thing it's crazy that the people in Portland would have said her luggage would be in Bangor - it obviously would be in Portland. Except, wait a minute, no, it's not showing up in their system at all. Of course, none of this is their fault, as it's weather related. Finally, they showed up at the house. Faith was a little wiped out after all the stress of the cockups at the airports and the sleeping on a concrete floor and the not having any of her clothes or shoes or fish. After dinner, we went to walmart so she could buy underwear and she just wore some of my pajamas to bed. Ha ha anyone who says that having three dressers and a closet full of clothes is overkill - it's just being prepared!!

We stayed up late and talked. Even though the journey was hellacious - I'm just so glad she's here!! The unpleasantness of the move, and only sleeping about three hours, and the rain and wind and sore muscles all really pale in comparison to what she went through!!!

I'm hoping that this week I'll be able to seriously rock through cleaning the old place as well as getting my new house set up. It's wonderful!!!

That's enough for now, I've got a meeting that started nine minutes ago. Even my fingers are long winded.

1 comment:

Faith said...

wow, jessy! it's my first time reading your blog... umm, why didn't i realize you had this? oh, wait, i knew about it back in the myspace olden days but hadn't seen the new version.

anyway, thanks for letting me relive the horror of last fall's flights. holy crap that better not happen again.