Monday, October 20, 2008

Ow!!!


I might be accident prone. That is to say, you might consider me to be accident prone. I'm not quite to the stage of walking-down-the-street-and-a-grand-piano-falls-on-my-head, but I am in the, get-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-to-use-the-bathroom-and-proceed-to-fall-down-the-stairs stage.

This weekend I packed my little heart out. I sat in the doorway to my bedroom, and slowly worked my way into the dreaded corner (where there were boxes still taped up from when we moved into this apartment just over three years ago). After many, many hours, I made it into the corner - yay me!! However, once there, I was surrounded by a wall of possessions. I had been tossing trash/broken stuff into a box, and one thing I tossed was a small wooden box I bought in Costa Rica. The top had come off, and the back piece of wood was loose. Apparently, when I tossed it into that box, it bounced out. When I climbed over the mountain of clothes and things, my heel came right down on the back of it, which had loosened enough that the nail was completely exposed.

That is how I got a 3/4 inch nail in my heel, with a wooden box dangling off of it.

On Sunday, Sarah and Rob were over moving more stuff out of next door. I talked to Sarah, as she's my closest health professional, and when I thought about it, my last tetanus shot was when I started college, about 9 years ago, she said I'd best get another one, lest I get lock jaw.

Do you know how badly tetanus shots hurt? I know it's quite bad, I'll know better in about fifty minutes. Then I'll be whiny and unpleasant for the rest of the day/week. I do not like pain. I do not like shots. But, I do not like lockjaw either - and since I love to talk so very much, I think I'll deal with the shot. Hopefully my whining won't get in the way of my ability to pack boxes tonight. Still sooooooo much work to do!!

2 comments:

Sara said...

I had a tetnus shot 2 years ago and I still remember how much it hurts! If you keep moving and using your "shot" arm I think it makes it hurt less...

Feeling your pain!!

Unknown said...

Well, I survived the shot. I think the biggest thing was that I was completely wiped out afterward. I did the good-girl moving my arm around a lot thing, and it actually seems to have helped. Whew!