Sunday, November 25, 2012

Best Streaming Christmas Movies

If you'd like to see ALL of the streaming Christmas movies on Netflix - go to this page; for all Christmas movies available with Amazon Prime - go to this page.  If you'd like to see a list of Christmas movies I have actually seen, and would recommend, or which I want to see, that are available for streaming online with subscriptions, this is the page you want! I'm only including movies available on Netflix and with Amazon Prime (I plan to add Hulu titles in the future), meaning that you can watch these free with those paid subscriptions. Of course, there are a ton of Christmas movies you can rent on Amazon, but I thought I'd keep it simple.

For updates on this page, follow this blog on facebook! Updated 12/5/2012

12 Dates of Christmas - Netflix - Do you love Christmas and miss Saved by the Bell? Or maybe just one of those two? Come on, this is an ABC Family Christmas movie - if you like one, you like them all.  Watch it here before it airs this December!

All I Want for Christmas - Netflix - this movie has all the markings of your classic Lifetime Christmas movie - it's a romance, the title is a line from a song, and the actors and actresses all look mildly familiar, but I can't place where I know them from.

All She Wants for Christmas - Netflix - I'm pretty sure I saw this one on Lifetime last year.  It's about the girl who is trying to save the Christmas Ornament factory.  Does that sound familiar? I admit it, it's not a great movie.  But it's good enough for Lifetime, and that's good enough for me.

Becoming Santa - Netflix - This is a documentary focusing on Jack Sanderson, and his physical and emotional journey to becoming a volunteer Santa.  The reviews are good, and I'm looking forward to watching it!

Bells of St. Mary's, The - Netflix - Bing Crosby - he's really all it takes to make a movie Christmasey for me - but they also throw in a holiday play.

Carried Away - Netflix - This is one I'd never heard of, it's a cool little Indie Christmastime movie! Mix together the drama of a Grandma being put into a home with a dysfunctional Texas family including one movie star member.  I'm looking forward to this!

Christmas Cupid – Netflix - this is a newer made for TV Christmas movie. A woman is haunted by a client who is trying to make her find true love by Christmas.

Christmas in Connecticut - Amazon - The 1945 classic starring Barbara Stanwyck as a reporter who has seriously misrepresented herself in her biography.

Christmas Tale, A - Amazon - This one is new to me, a 2008 Sundance Films production starring Catherine Deneuve - I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Christmas Time in South Park - Netflix - those offensive little bastards are at it again - Holiday Style.

Christmas with a Capital C - Netflix - A town has to fight with a lawyer who wants to take any religious references out of their holiday celebrations.

Crazy for Christmas - Netflix - I'm pretty sure this was ABC Family, or Lifetime movie.  A poor single mother gets stuck chauffeuring around a rich man who is handing out cash to everyone.  I'm sure there's a lesson here...

Desperately Seeking Santa -  Netflix -Three words: Sexy Santa Contest.  I strongly suspect this one was made for TV, as I don't really see the box office draw.

Gift of the Magi, The -  Netflix -this is one of my favorite Christmas stories (originally written by O. Henry); that story is where I learned what a pageboy haircut is.  The movie is based in the early 1900s, and looks incredibly sweet.

Grumpy Old Men - Amazon - I recently watched this, and discovered that it's a Christmas movie; I had completely forgotten! I first watched this when I was in high school, when it originally came out and spent the whole time snuggling with my boyfriend, so I'll use that as my excuse.

Heart of Christmas, The -  Netflix -Aw man, a cute little kid is diagnosed with cancer before Christmas? I'm SUPER DUPER hoping this one ends with an awesome Christmas miracle (but I haven't watched it yet, so don't get mad at me if it's one of those 'life lessons' type of movies). I just found out this is based on a true story, too!

Hogfather -  Netflix -this is not specifically about Christmas, it's about "Hogwatch" - the Christmas-like holiday in Discworld.  This is a really fantastic adventure-filled fantasy movie.  I am so glad Netflix brought it back!

Holiday Engagement -  Netflix -This one reminds me of 'The Wedding Date' (with Debra Messing - you probably didn't see it, I think I'm one of the only people who did), except it's Christmas!!! This is fluffy Christmas made for TV magic at its best/worst (is there really a difference).  I can't wait to watch it!

Holiday in Handcuffs –  Netflix -Poor Trudie – she has terrible hair, an awful job, and now she’s kidnapped a man to make him pose as her boyfriend for her terrible family Christmas. This movie puts the Fun back in Felony!

How About You -  Netflix -A younger sister takes care of a retirement home in Ireland or something - check it out - on the cover she looks REALLY excited.

Jack Frost - Amazon - this is the live action version starring Michael Keaton, where he comes back to life as a snowman.  I believe this one actually made its start in theatres.


Jersey Christmas, A - Amazon - Don't worry - there's no Snooki here, just some blue collar folks stuck working on Christmas Eve. 

Jingle Hell - Amazon - The Irish Catholic Fitzgeralds (not my childhood best friend's family) and their not quite perfect NYC Christmas.


Last Holiday -  Netflix -Starring LL Cool J and Queen Latifah, this is one I can't help but recommend. It's cheesy, but cute.  QL stars as a sweet woman who's constantly being walked all over by everyone, and pines away for the cute guy at work. She is diagnosed with a terminal illness, and decides to live it up and do all the things she'd always been too afraid to.  Gorgeous Christmasey scenery and decorations.

Little Britain - 2006 Christmas Special Episode - Amazon - This one is definitely not appropriate for children.  Little Britain is one of the funniest, most inappropriate skit shows out there.  REALLY inappropriate.

Meet Me in St. Louis - Amazon - I apparently led a very sheltered life before meeting one of the coolest guys I know in 2004.  David introduced me to the glory that is Meet Me in St. Louis, an incredible musical starring Judy Garland.

Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol -  Netflix -that silly little scamp Mr. Magoo is at it again - this time he's playing the part of Ebenezer Scrooge in the classic Dicken's tale 'A Christmas Carol.' I hope you, like me, have a place in your heart for cartoons from the early 1960s.

My Year Without Sex - Amazon - I never would have guessed this was a Christmas movie (until I read the description).  I am definitely planning on watching it, as the reviews are pretty darn good.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - Amazon Prime - One of, if not THE, best Christmas movies of all time! This has been a family tradition since the 1990s.  LOVE it!!! Despite the fact that I watched it as a child, I would recommend waiting to watch it with yours until you've seen it yourself.

Nightmare Before Christmas, The - Netflix - This is one of my absolute favorites (my daughter's numero uno) - This fantastic Tim Burton movie is the story of Jack Skellington, whose intentions are good, but efforts to take over Christmas are just awful.  I am so excited to see this available on Netflix!!

Noel -  Netflix -Penelope Cruz and Susan Sarandon make up for the presence of Paul Walker, I'm sure in this tale about five New Yorkers alone at Christmas, and discovering the meaning of the season or something.

Nutcracker: The Motion Picture –  Netflix -This is, without fail, the best recorded version of the ballet I’ve seen. If you don’t have a chance to get to see it performed live this year, I’d recommend queuing this up.

Perfect Gift, The -  Netflix -Ruben Studdard is that really you? Yes! The headliner on this holiday gem is none other than one of the previous winners of American Idol. This movie is about the madness that ensues when both sets of inlaws arrive for the same holiday.

Radio City Christmas Spectacular, The –  Netflix -If you’ve not had the opportunity to see these incredible women perform in person – I think you should jump at any chance you’re afforded (we saw them for the first time last winter in Boston – they are AMAZING). Luckily for everyone, those who have, and haven’t seen the Rockettes perform – you can watch the show on your TV or computer – seriously – this is awesome stuff!!

Samantha, An American Girl Holiday - Amazon - Because I grew up in the late eighties - early nineties, I was, of course, completely obsessed with the American Girl books (I never had any of the dolls, but made up for this fact with my daughter's extensive collection).  I believe this was the first of the books to be made into a movie, and it was really well done.

Santa Baby 2: Christmas Maybe –  Netflix -Santa’s daughter (Jenny McCarthy) is tapped by her old pops to take over the family business, but is torn between her awesome life in NYC and making millions of children happy.

Santa Claus: The Movie – Netflix - One of the elves defects and starts working for an evil toy baron determined to take over from Santa (how dare he!?!?!?!). This is the classic 80s with Dudley Moore.

Snow –  Netflix -I actually own this ABC Family made for TV gem. Santa’s reindeer go through a magic portal and end up being stuck in a zoo. Ready for some romance between Santa and a lovely zoo keeper? Me too!

Snow 2: Brain Freeze –  Netflix -uh oh! Something happened to Santa and he’s lost his memory of his wife (who just might be a certain zoo keeper). What will they do??

Snowglobe –  Netflix -another ABC Family made for TV beauty – a woman discovers that she can go into her Christmas Snowglobe, and it’s totally awesome.

Under the Mistletoe - Amazon - From what I can tell, a happy family is torn apart at the holidays by a Christmas Tree related car crash.  At least one review mentions ghosts.  It looks very Lifetime, or ABC Family - which means I ought to watch it.

We're No Angels - Amazon - I'd never even heard of this holiday movie starring Humphrey Bogart, and I can't wait to watch it!! This purports to be about some criminals who escape from prison to an island in France. 

White Christmas -  Netflix -Quite possibly the greatest movie ever made.  Fact: my sister and I can perform the "Sisters" routine in its entirety, and sing the song together on a regular basis. If you've never seen it - watch it! If you've already seen it, why aren't you watching it again???

Yes, Virginia –  Netflix -this is an adorable animated version of the true story of a little girl who wrote to the newspaper asking if Santa was real because "If you see it in The Sun, it's so."  I’m really excited about this new addition to the Netflix streaming Christmas library!




3 comments:

Pips said...

Thanks for sharing your lists! I'm a Christmas movie junkie this time of year, and it's great to see a good list compiled so I don't have to wade through all the movies in search of something interesting.

RE: The Heart of Christmas... I watched it and, sadly, your second guess was more accurate. It's a sickly sweet tearjerker about a kid who has cancer, and his parents' journey through his treatment and, inevitably, his final (early) Christmas before he dies. I watched it, initially thinking it was the "November Christmas" movie that I only caught a few minutes of a couple weeks ago and wanted to see... But it's not. It's fine, if you're into super-religious tearjerkers, though.
I did, however, find a new favorite via your list - Noel is going to be my go-to movie, I think, on years my daughter is at the ex's. And Eight Crazy Nights is hilarious.
Thanks again for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely respect and appreciate your point on each and every object. how to get american netflix in canada

Unknown said...

These are unquestionably the Best Streaming Christmas Movies. Have you ever heard about Popcorn Time. It is one of the best sites that offer thousands of free high-quality movies.