Since my one and only child is turning eleven tomorrow, I thought now would be a nice time to reflect upon the situation I've been raising her in.
Since she was about seven months old, it's just been the two of us - granted, I've dated, but there's never been a stepdad or anything like that - no one has ever been allowed that far into the inner sanctum of our lives. And I like it that way. Here are a few of the reasons that being a single parent of an only child rocks:
1. You can always say, with absolute honesty, "yes, you ARE my favorite"
2. You get to be the boss (No, we're not watching ICarly anymore today)
3. Even when they're mad at you, you know that you're their favorite too
4. You have a super strong relationship & understanding (more than you see from other people and their children)
5. You get each other's undivided attention (granted, this one has some serious backlash when you want some time to yourself)
6. Bedtime is yours
7. You make up the house rules
8. It's more affordable to take family trips
9. No one can ever accuse you of playing favorites
There are loads more reasons that it's a great situation - yes, there are drawbacks, but I wouldn't have it any other way.