Sunday, August 12, 2012

What You Ought to be Watching on Netflix

Yes, it's almost 3:00 am - the fact of the matter is I am just a night (technically early morning at this point) person, and since I had surgery last month, and haven't had to wake up every weekday morning to go to work - my schedule has been slowly moving toward the nocturnal side; I return to work a week from Monday, so need to start weaning myself off of watching the sunrise.

My main form of entertainment while up all night is watching movies and shows on Netflix (surprise, surprise).

I happened upon a real gem tonight - it's called The Music Never Stopped, and is a newbie on Netflix.  This is the 'based on a true story" tale of a man and his father.  While I'm not usually a big fan of sentimentality outside of Christmas movies, this was incredibly well done.  My daughter just stumbled out of her room, claiming a shared case of insomnia, and I tried to describe the plot to her, this is the best summary I could come up with:

It's about a man who ran away from home when he was 18, in the late sixties.  His parents are contacted 20 years later, as he is in the hospital with a massive brain tumor.  The operate on the tumor, but it has caused permanent damage, largely to the part of the brain that processes and creates memories (the hippo-campus? I'm really not sure).  His father, who was the reason he ran away from home, reads about a professor in music therapy, and that's where the story really gets interesting. Only while he's listening to music, can the son connect with people, and he and his father develop an amazing relationship. Unsurprisingly, the movie has a fantastic soundtrack.

Yep - this one's a must-see.  

No comments: